Monday, December 1, 2008

River, side















































So, for the first time, since I have lived here, I walked around my community, aimlessly. This experience was out of the ordinary for me, seeing that the only time people walk in my community is when they are in lack of a car, and will only walk long enough to thumb a ride. When I began my derive, it was a bit cloudy due to the previous rain storm. As I began, something shifted me to taking a "left" out of my driveway, instead of the normal "right". A big landmark of the "conference" building attracted me. It symbolizes the center of the community because a lot of sad and important events occur in that building. A lot of funerals and conventions and concerts happen there. As I continued to walk down my street, I came to my road sign. "Beaver road", its kind of funny because all the streets from the cape fear river have "watery" names. As I continued down the long, and moist street, I continued to follow the highway in direction of town, I saw beautifully colored leaves and large fields. The "Welcome to Riverside Community" sign is very significant to me. My mother is the president of the community, and she was motivator and biggest fundraiser to fund the sign. I continue to walk down the street, and I came to the sign, "ERWIN" city limits. I chuckled at that because Erwin is definitely not what one would picture when thinking of "city". As I continued my walk, I realized that I was following the flow of traffic. No one was walking around but all traffic seemed to be going towards the "city". The next significant aspect of my town that I saw was the Cape Fear River. I don't think I will ever walk over a river again. It was quite scary to me. But the river was very beautiful with leaves shinning in its slowly churning waters. After standing and gazing at the river for a while, I continued to march up a steep hill. In a car the hill seems like any normal slope in the road, but on foot, the hill seems enthralling. Not necessarily knowing what lay on the top of the hill, the walk upwards seemed mysterious in a sense. Upon topping the hill, I saw THE PROMISED LAND. Lol. No, I only saw a dinky dink gas station and a couple of horses in a fence. . Unfortunately after I reached the gas station, my derive was over.

No comments: